Technology is an ever reaching force. It has conquered the world and every nuance of our lives. Even children are reaching for computers and smartphones at surprisingly young ages, and not just for teething!
I could learn a thing or two about today’s technologies from some of the children I know! It is amazing to see kids pressing touchscreens and opening games before they have learned to count. But parents can use these technologies to their advantage.
Let’s look at some fun, popular electronic applications accessible through iPad and iPod devices right now that teach children their numbers!
1. MathTappers: Numberline is a learning game that teaches kids to find the locations of numbers on a numberline. This game allows players to develop their understanding of our number system and proportional reasoning skills.
2. Count On Me HD is a great counting teacher. This game is all about guiding farm animals to their respective homes. Kids learn to count how many animals were sent to their respective homes. This is a highly interactive game that teaches counting.
3. Under the Sea: Learn Numbers, Learn the Alphabet is suitable for children between 2 and 6 years old. This app takes you and your toddler on an educational journey across the seas! Learn to count, learn the alphabet and have fun at the same time by connecting the dots in the correct numbered order to finally reveal an animal.
4. 123 Fun: Write & Learn numbers 2.2 teaches numbers from 1 to 20 and their number words in English, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and Thai. It includes a lot of fun games to help your child learn numbers.
5. Fun and Learn: Numbers is the perfect app to teach your toddler numbers. They will learn to compare numbers, sequencing and counting.
6. Letz Learn Numbers: teaches children numbers and lets them enjoy it with games! It is designed to help preschoolers and kindergarteners learn numbers from 1 to 10.
7. Know Numbers: Learn numbers for kids, “because kids love to learn, but hate being taught.” This version is a promotional app, so it is free now for a limited time. Based on Montessori learning system, you child will be able to learn and play at the same time. It is designed for children ages 2-5.
8. Count Me In! helps children of all ages learn to count and recognize English numbers.
9. iLearnMyNumbers is a fun app that teaches numbers and builds upon basic math ideas. Your child can write on a chalk board, scribble on a virtual pad and have a great time!
10. Kids Connect is a game that helps kids learn numbers and letters by connecting them to colorful images.
Parents often first seem worried about toddlers getting their hands on technology at such a young age, but it doesn’t take long to realize and appreciate that mobile app developers are a step ahead in the game. Technology is a driving force in our lives, and it is unwise to resist it. Harness it instead, and put it to use for the good of your child. It is always important to note that as with anything, moderation is key!